Notice is hereby given that the City of Trenton Board of Review will meet at 9:00am, Tuesday, July 21, 2020, at City Hall, 2800 Third St., Trenton, MI for the following purposes:
- to correct qualified errors, clerical errors/mutual mistakes of fact relative to the correct assessment figures, the rate of taxation, or the mathematical computation relating to the assessing of taxes.
- to review appeals of Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) Affidavits (fka homestead). A PRE appeal submitted to the local board for the first time in 2020, which has not been appealed to the MI Department of Treasury for the 2020 tax year, may be submitted in person or in writing no later than 9:00am, July 21, 2020 at the Assessor’s Office by an owner who owned and occupied the property as their principle residence on or before June 30, 2020 for the 2020 Summer bill provided that NO PRE was on the 2017, 2018, 2019 and/or 2020 tax roll for the year of their claim. This board has NO jurisdiction over PRE status denied by either the MI Department of Treasury, Wayne County Equalization, or the local Assessor.
- to review 2020 hardship appeals submitted first time in 2020, related to principle residence property owner occupants who meet specified requirements. Requirements and instructions related to hardship appeals should be obtained from the Assessor’s office no later than July 20, 2020. All required forms and information related to hardship appeals must be complete, submitted and received in the city assessor’s office no later than 9:00am July 21, 2020. The Board of Review requires all first time hardship applicants, or their duly authorized representatives, to appear before the Board in person.
- to review Disabled Veterans Exemption Affidavits, P.A. 161 of 2013, MCL 211.7b.
- to review appeals of 2020 Assessments, Governor Whitmer’s 2020 Executive Order-87.
The meeting shall continue until the board has completed review of matters before it at 9:00am till noon and 1:00pm to 4:00pm, and shall be adjourned immediately upon completion of action related to those matters.
John P. Dahlquist, City Assessor and Board Secretary