CITY OF TRENTON
Resolution Proposing Charter Amendment to Section 4.7 of the City Charter, APPROVING BALLOT LANGUAGE DESIGNATING PURPOSE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENT, APPROVING PUBLICATION AS WELL AS TEXT FOR PUBLICATION, AND DIRECTING AS WELL AS AUTHORIZING CITY CLERK TO TAKE ACTIONS NECESSARY TO SUBMIT PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO ELECTORS
Whereas, the City is proposing a Charter amendment to Section 4.7 which would modify how the Mayor and City Council members are compensated.
BE IT RESOLVED, by the City Council of the City of Trenton, Michigan resolves as follows:
- If approved by a 3/5 vote of its members-elect, pursuant to the authority granted by Public Act 279 of 1909, as amended, proposes that Section 4.7 of the Charter shall be amended to read as follows and effective January 1, 2024:
Section 4.7. Compensation of Elective Officers.
The elective Officers of the City shall be entitled to receive as full compensation for their services, as follows:
- Mayor. The compensation of the Mayor shall be a flat rate of $18,500.00 per year, paid bi-weekly.
- Members of council. The compensation for each member of Council, excepting the Mayor, shall be a flat rate of $7,500.00 per year, paid bi-weekly.
(c) Clerk, Treasurer and Assessor. The compensation for the Clerk, Treasurer and Assessor under this charter, shall be fixed by ordinance. No ordinance changing the annual salaries of the Clerk, and/or Treasurer, and/or Assessor may be enacted or amended less than sixty days before the next election at which the Clerk, Treasurer and Assessor are to be nominated.
Unless otherwise stated in this Section, such compensation shall be paid monthly and except as otherwise provided in this charter, shall constitute the only compensation which may be paid for the discharge of any official duty for or on behalf of the City during their respective tenure of office.
The Mayor, Council Members and other elective officers may upon order of the Council be paid such bona fide expenses incurred on behalf of the City, as are authorized, itemized and approved by the Council.
- The purpose of the proposed amendment shall be designated on the ballot as follows: The purpose of the proposal is to modify how the Mayor and Council Members are paid. This section of the Charter was last modified in 1995. To increase efficiencies, this proposal if adopted, will modify the compensation of the Mayor to a flat rate per year of $18,500.00 and the compensation of individual City Council members to a flat rate per year of $7,500.00. Payment of the flat rate shall be bi-weekly and effective January 1, 2024. This proposal, if adopted, would modify the frequency and how the Mayor and City Council members are compensated.
- The proposed amendment shall be submitted to the electors in the following format:
Proposal to Amend the City Charter of Trenton modifying the frequency of payment to the Mayor and City Council Members.
The proposed amendment to the City Charter will change the compensation method for the Mayor and City Council Members of Trenton. The last modification to this section of the Charter occurred in 1995. Currently, the Mayor is paid $75.00 for each attended meeting, while the City Council members receive $50.00 per attended meeting.
To streamline the payment process, the proposed amendment aims to transition to a flat annual rate. If approved, the Mayor would receive a yearly compensation of $18,500.00, while each City Council member would be paid $7,500.00 annually. The new compensation rates would be distributed bi-weekly, starting January 1, 2024. This amendment, if adopted, will alter how the Mayor and City Council members are compensated.
Shall the proposal be adopted?
- The canvass and determination of the votes of said question shall be made in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan and the charter of the city of Trenton.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the City Clerk shall forthwith transmit a certified copy of this Resolution containing the proposed amendment to the Governor of the State of Michigan for her approval and shall forthwith transmit a certified copy of this Resolution containing the foregoing ballot language designating the purpose of said proposed amendment to the Attorney General of the State of Michigan for her approval as required by law.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the proposed Charter amendment shall be and the same is ordered to be submitted to the qualified electors of the City at the General Election to be held on the 7th day of November, 2023, and the City Clerk is hereby directed to give notice of election and notice of registration therefore in the manner prescribed by law and to do all things and to provide all supplies necessary to submit such Charter amendment to the vote of the electors as required by law.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the proposed amendments shall be published in full at least once in the official newspaper of the City of Trenton at least ten days prior to said election to be held on the 7th day of November, 2023.
ADOPTED, APPROVED AND PASSED by the City Council of the City of Trenton this 7th day of August, 2023.
Steven J. Rzeppa, Mayor
Debra R. Devitt, City Clerk