CITY OF TRENTON
WHEREAS, the City of Riverview, Michigan has indicated to various local governmental agencies and their governing bodies that it has proposed and intends to expand the existing Riverview Landfill site, currently located along King Road, in the City of Riverview, in size and scope to accommodate new and existing customers; and
WHEREAS, traffic to and from the existing Landfill site, together with odors emanating therefrom, already negatively impacts surrounding roads, air quality and environmental conditions in the immediate area adjacent to the neighborhoods adjacent thereto; and
WHEREAS, it is vital that the proposed expansion does not further exacerbate the road and environmental conditions for the community and properties adjacent to the Landfill; and
WHEREAS, it is the additional responsibility of the City of Riverview to protect citizens of any community located adjacent to its Landfill from any adverse impact, and ensure their well-being as if they were their own; and
WHEREAS, the City of Riverview has available to it alternate access points to the landfill site within its own municipal boundaries, with roads suitable for handling the expected increase in traffic, while avoiding proximity to adjacent residential neighborhoods,
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the City of Trenton does hereby oppose any expansion of the Riverview Landfill without due consideration of its impact on adjacent neighborhoods, and implementation of the following affirmative steps:
- Relocating the existing and/or proposed delivery entrance and/or exit to the Landfill site from King Road to Sibley or Allen Roads.
- Implement an air quality monitoring system to detect and address foul odors escaping the site which may be deleterious to surrounding neighborhoods and adversely affect property values of homes located in the area.
- Work collaboratively with the City of Trenton to develop and implement a joint recycling program in conjunction with waste disposal, to further protect the environment and extend the life the Landfill.
- Conduct an in depth traffic study to evaluate the impact to nearby residents, neighborhoods and roads.
- Aggressively address the vagrant trash that continually drifts from the current site and from the inbound customers dumping at the site.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that this petition be additionally served on the County
of Wayne in the State of Michigan, the Wayne County Executive, the Director of Land Resource Management Division of the Department of Public Services and the Wayne County solid Waste Board.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Mayor and City Clerk are hereby authorized and directed to execute and deliver this Resolution of the City of Trenton to the persons and entities, identified above.
ADOPTED, APPROVED AND PASSED by the City Council of Trenton, on the 17th day of May, 2021.