Trenton City Hall: 2800 Third St. Trenton, MI 48183 | Phone: (734) 675-6500 Fax: (734) 675-4088

ShareThis:

History of Elizabeth Park

Elizabeth Park PoniesElizabeth Park, the oldest unit of the Wayne County Park System, is located on the Detroit River and is linked to the City of Trenton by bridges.

The Park occupies 162 acres and formerly known as "Slocum's Island." The island was owned by and named for Giles Bryan Slocum (1808-1884). In 1919 the heirs of Elizabeth Slocum, a direct descendant of Major Truax offered the island to the Village of Trenton, but when the officials felt they could not financially maintain the property, it was donated to Wayne County. The Park is presently owned and operated by the Wayne County Parks Division.

The Slocum residence, a large white house formerly located in the Park and once used for a recreation center, was destroyed by fire.

The Park, valued at more than $1,000,000, has been landscaped and provided with field stoves and picnic tables. A 3-lane concrete road, intersected by numerous drives and paths circles the island, linked with the mainland by a vehicle bridge and three foot-bridges.

Elizabeth Park Tire SwingA large concrete dock on the Detroit River serves as a landing for both large passenger craft and speedboats. Recreation facilities include a standard baseball diamond, a pony drive, tennis courts, horseshoe and shuffleboard courts and playground equipment.

Though the City of Trenton does not use the park for any organized recreation programs, thousands of residents in the area use the park each year for summer picnicking and launching small boats into the Detroit River.

Information on existing buildings and on the park can be obtained by calling: Wayne County Parks and Forestry Office 261-1990.

Chateau on the River


Within the grounds of Elizabeth Park, Chateau on the River is a unique venue along the Detroit River across from Grosse Isle Island. This newly renovated space once served as a horse and buggy barn for the island original owners, the Slocum family. Today, Chateau on the River is a modern desitination with historic roots. The building features marble bathrooms, a riverview terrace, and cockatil/reception space adjacent to the Main Hall. The Main Hall has a capacity for 150 guests and features a state of the art AV system including twin projectors and sound system that can sync'd with an iPod, iPhone or iTouch. For more information click here.

 

ShareThis: